Brownie's Foggy Blog

Mostly boring, sometimes insightful, always inane, often banal, but never, ever, anything but the truth about how I see the world.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I am a loud mouth at times, other times meek. I wonder at the world, but know not what I seek.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Parable of Injustice

Note: This was not taken from any biblical, gnostic, or agnostic text that I am aware of, rather it is just me, rambling.

A humble man went before his master, for his master had sent word that he was to be promoted to the office of overseer of all his slaves, he was to be given a new home to live in, a measure of land to till for his own, and a host of sheep and goats to sustain his family with food and clothing. The humble man asked his master: "What have I done to deserve the blessings you have bestowed on to me and mine? I work hard, yes, by the sweat of my brow, yet I still make mistakes from time to time. I'm not sure I deserve all this. Why have you blessed me so?"

The master looked down on his servant and seeing the humility in his heart, said: "It is mine to give."

Still confused, the humble man shook his head. But he thanked his lord and withdrew.

Then a proud man came before the master. The proud man had been blessed by his master for many years and had earned a place of responsibility over many men in the service of his lord. But the master had sent word that he was to be stripped of his office and returned to the fields where he would live by the sweat of his brow once again. "What have I done to deserve this humilitaion? Have I not served you well, O lord, overseeing your workers, increasing your wealth for more than a decade? How can you do this to me?"

The master looked down on his servant and seeing the pride in his heart, he said: "It is mine to take away."

The proud man shook his head in disbelief, and without a word, withdrew.

In the outer chambers, the proud man saw the humble man kneeling at the gate and giving thanks to God. As the proud man walked by, he kicked dirt at the humble man and spat at him, but the humble man paid no mind and kept praising God.

Finally, the proud man spoke. "Why do you praise God? Do you not know that all that you are given can be taken away in the wink of an eye?"

The humble man looked up at the proud man and said: "Yes, I do. I think it is yourself who had forgotten it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home