Brownie's Foggy Blog

Mostly boring, sometimes insightful, always inane, often banal, but never, ever, anything but the truth about how I see the world.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I am a loud mouth at times, other times meek. I wonder at the world, but know not what I seek.

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Party(s) of Fear

The left has been accusing the Republicans of using fear as a way to keep the American people in line for some time now. All the talk of terrorists, the color-coded alert system, etc. All so they can keep their war for their oil buddies going and keep oil prices high...

They may be right.

But the Republicans are not the only party in this country willing to use fear as weapon to get their way. The left has said, rather loudly in fact, that the Republicans, and Dubya in particular, "don't care about black people."

Maybe.

But the fact is, despite the fear-mongering the left has done, a far-right controlled House and Republican controlled Senate, and an oft-maligned neo-con Prez have passed, and as of yesterday, signed into law, the voters right act, extending it another 25 years, keeping in place--untouched-- the stringent oversights of southern states voting procedures.

You may still think the right doesn't care about people of color, I certainly won't change your mind about it, just take a minute and look.

Actions speak louder than words. And make up your own mind. Just be sure you see that fear is a weapon that neither patry is willing to part with in their quest for power.

2 Comments:

Blogger snarkbutt said...

I agree that both sides will use whatever they can to maintain power. But it's hard for me to equate the "fear" of a mushroom cloud versus the "fear" that a group of people are not being heard by their government. One sentiment is being used by people in power to manipulate, the other is an opinion expressed by people who feel they have no power.

I don't think you can deny that, on the whole, the left cares more about minority issues than the right does. To use your own example, there were 33 congresspeople who voted against the recent Voting Rights Act. Guess which party they all belonged to? Is that coincidence? Am I being a "fear-monger" if I point out that not one Democrat voted against this bill?

See for yourself.

Actions do speak louder than words.

:)

2:57 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

Snark-

Thanks for visiting.

I agree with your point that "left cares more about minority issues than the right does" but that wasn't my point.

I was decrying the TACTICS, which, since I (under most circumstances, not all) identify more with the dems, dissapoints me more. I already expect bad things from the right, but when the left lowers itself to the same level...I have to sigh.

Namárië

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home