Brownie's Foggy Blog

Mostly boring, sometimes insightful, always inane, often banal, but never, ever, anything but the truth about how I see the world.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I am a loud mouth at times, other times meek. I wonder at the world, but know not what I seek.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bizzy Buzz Buzz Bye-Bye

So, now I hear the bees are disappearing, and at a rather alarming rate. Many beekeepers report loses as high as 50% over the last year.

You may ask: "So what? The price of honey will go up, big deal."

The problem is that bees do a great deal of nature's work for us. Their constant business of collecting nectar transfers pollen from one plant to the next allowing for germination and therefore reproduction, flowering and fruit-bearing to take place in countless thousands of species of plant life. Imagine if we kept planting all our corn and beans and fruit trees and whatnot, but they no longer produced fruit because all the bees had died off.

I am not really scared of things that might do me harm, though I'm careful not to be foolhardy with my body in daily life, nor do I court danger like those absolutely insane BASE jumpers. But stuff like the bees dying off does scare me. With 6 billion mouths to feed (and the numbers are growing at an alarming rate), we, as a species, cannot afford to lose one of our closest friends: the bee.

Lord, bless and protect your bees.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger snarkbutt said...

In the movie Wargames, the genius dude speculates that after people kill each other off, the bees will be the next species to dominate the world.

How can they do that if they die off first? Who are we leaving the world to then? The cockroaches?

2:01 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

In my belief system, man will not die off, but there will be a new heaven and a new earth.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Fingtree said...

It is man vs insect

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home