Brownie's Foggy Blog

Mostly boring, sometimes insightful, always inane, often banal, but never, ever, anything but the truth about how I see the world.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I am a loud mouth at times, other times meek. I wonder at the world, but know not what I seek.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Judas Connundrum

Is Judas in heaven?

He sinned a terrible sin. But one that Jesus knew he would commit well before Judas ever had to face it himself. And Jesus accepted it, did nothing to prevent it, because he knew it was a necessary part of what must happen for him to make his sacrifice for us all. Shouldn't that include forgiveness for Judas' sin of betrayal as well?

What about Judas' suicide? Some say this is an unpardonable sin, because once it is committed there is no chance for the sinner to repent from it. But Jesus himself said that there was only one unpardobable sin: grieving the Holy Spirit. And as the day of Pentecost had not yet occured, (the day the Holy Spirit descended into the world), how could Judas have grieved that which had not yet come into the world?

Today, we assume the Holy Spirit is among us, so now if a Christian commits suicide, one could very well make the case that suicide is an unpardonable sin. But is the act itself "grieving" the Holy Spirit? This is a line in the bible I've always struggled with understanding. I've heard many explanations as to what it means exactly, though I'm afraid none of these explanations seem to make much sense to me. The closest I've come to understanding this sin is this: We accept the Holy Spirit into our lives, but do not listen to it. But even if we do listen to it, are we not still just human? Still sinners? Perhaps grieving the Holy Spirit is a sin of degree, a kind of bean counter's sin, that some angel must keep track of in order to mete out the treasures of heaven to those who grieved the Holy Spirit the LEAST amount of times. But it is still "unpardonable." In the strictest sense, this could mean that ANYONE who sins after the Holy Spirit has taken up rescidence in their heart, will NEVER see the glory of Heaven.

That's heavy. Because if it's true, Heaven will be sparsely populated indeed. Based on this theory, and in my guestimation, there might only be one human there: Jesus himself. Is that why he came? To be alone in heaven with his father?

I don't think so.

So here's what I've come to conclude:
1. Judas was forgiven both his sin of betrayal and his sin of suicide. After all, his suicide was a mark and result of his repentance from the first sin.

2. That grieving the Holy Spirit may mean something completely different than the explanations I've heard, or the one that I believe it means. Unless of course, we are all condemned to everlasting seperation from God (often known as hell). This I don't buy. So basically, this is still a profound mystery to me.

3. Suicide is not necessarily an unpardonable sin. If one takes one's own life in selfish despair, or wanton disregard for one's soul, or to escape some worldly troubles, then perhaps it is unpardonable (how should I know? I'm not God). On the other hand, if it is done to spare others from troubles, to relieve the suffering of others, or done as a rash act of contrition, then perhaps God can forgive it, if we have led an otherwise Godly life. After all, since Jesus knew well beforehand that he was going to die at the hands of the Romans, but did nothing to prevent it, could this not be viewed as a sort of suicide? I know that sounds terribly blasphemous, I don't mean it to, but it's a fact I find difficult to ignore.

In the end, none of us can possibly know EXACTLY how God will judge us or our actions. All we can do is our best. Unfortunately, as flawed human beings, born in to the sinful flesh, our best will never be good enough for God.

That's why I believe he'll do more to forgive us (most of) our sins, otherwise He'll be very lonely in eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home