Brownie's Foggy Blog

Mostly boring, sometimes insightful, always inane, often banal, but never, ever, anything but the truth about how I see the world.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I am a loud mouth at times, other times meek. I wonder at the world, but know not what I seek.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Book Update: The Cautious Triumph of Possibility

Well folks, it's official: today I received an offer to have my novel The Heart of the Graystone published. I received a contract and an offer of a (miniscule) advance from a small independant publisher. The funny thing is, I am not all that excited about it.

I must say that my initial reaction is one of skeptisism (or is it pessimism?). Years of self-doubt, piled up inside me like so much refuse in a land fill, refususes to allow me to think anything but: "It's too good to be true, and this company, like so many other organizations and people and animals I have had to deal with in my life, is going to end up screwing me," (if you'll pardon the expression).

There is a famous Groucho Marx/Woody Allen joke that goes: I'd never want to belong to any club that would have me as a member. For Woody, it was the key joke in his romantic life in Annie Hall, and I have the sinking feeling it may be the key joke in my all-too-real life (the Greek chorus representing powers and principalities laugh mockingly in the background, for they seem to be once again winning a battle against this Lilipute of a man).

I'm the kind of person who has tons of self-confidence in things with which I am well versed, but when it has come to venturing out and breaking new ground in my life, I've always been a bit timid. Is this normal? I'd like to think I'm not that different from other folks in this area of life, but having only lived this one life, (that I am aware of) I can't say for sure.

Anyway, I'll be spending the next few days in deep thought and contemplation on my decision, and reading all the fine print in the contract, hoping I'm bright enough to decipher the legalese and detect any financial landmines that so many disreputable companies seem apt to plant deep in the jungle of their offer.

Maybe it would be better if I looked at the bright side. In a few years I may be fabulously wealthy, famous, and rubbing elbows with other great pop figures of our time...like William Hung and Kato Kalen. You just never know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger snarkbutt said...

Wow, that's great news! Having someone interested in publishing your first book is a great thing. Just think of seeing all your hard work, your creation, all bound up in a real book, sitting in a bookstore.

However, I understand your trepidation. There are a lot of people out there ready to take advantage of wannabe published writers. I think you're wise to take some time and investigate this publisher and see if it's all legit. Are there any publishing experts you might be able to consult with and see if it's a good (or standard) deal? (You probably know this already, but you should never, ever, pay them to have your book published.)

Anyway, I think this is great news and I look forward to ordering Heart of the Graystone from Amazon one day.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Fingtree said...

"Feel like toastin"! Nice Brownie! I know there is a Ying and a Yang to everything, but underlying it all are the deeds and efforts you put forth in this manifestation of your creation.
With this achievment; you should feel a healthy sense of pride, no matter what results come from any publishing company. It clearly shows that not just this publishing company thinks you are worthy, but the fact that other publishing firms have expressed interest in this book as well, deserves noting. Trod on my friend!
From me personally, I pat you on the back with the highest laudable praises for your resolve, discipline and struggle to see this through. Much respect!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Dan S said...

What great news! I just tried to call, but you were already on your way to the library.

I have a friend who just got a novel published, so maybe I can ask him what a "reasonable" deal is for a first time author. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't much, but the main thing at this point is getting it published, and knowing that objective, professional editors think it is as good as your friends do.

Congratulations, my friend. This is quite an accomplishment!

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home